Investment in mill logistics boosts the entire logistics chain
Saica (S.A Industrias Celulosa Aragonesa) is a major European producer of recycled cardboard packaging and a pioneer in circular economy with operations in most Western European countries. The Saica El Burgo de Ebro mill, located in Zaragoza, Spain, has a production capacity of 1,3 M tons a year.
Saica’s customer deliveries reach a new level of efficiency with Pesmel TransRoll high capacity distribution center. Saica first contracted Pesmel to supply half of the distribution center, in order to enable continuous production on all of the three paper machines and the off-machine coater during construction. Upon completion of phase one at the end of the second quarter of 2020 Saica have placed an order with Pesmel to supply phase two. The final solution will be operational in 2022.
The overall challenge and driver for the investment was to change the operating philosophy from made-to-order to made-to-stock, resulting in improved customer service.
Saica’s target was to increase storing capacity and improve inventory control at the mill site. Streamlining shipping functions to minimize turnaround times was equally high on the agenda. They also wanted to improve customer service and provide faster and more flexible deliveries. Finally, the customer wanted to enhance safety in the storage and loading area.
The solution was to develop automated logistics to store over 4,000 stock items to be shipped to over 40 customers utilizing some 200-250 trucks per day, in on-demand, random order.
Pesmel’s delivery encompasses the supply an automated distribution center with a 65,000 ton warehousing capacity, four stacker cranes and seven sorting carriages, plus some 12 loading positions controlled by Pesmel’s WMS. Trucks will come to pick up loads identified by number plate reading at the mill gates.
- Storage operations will be completely autonomous. Combined in and out handling capacity will be 400 rolls per hour from three board machines and an off-machine coater
- Everything will be automated in the new logistics warehouse. Large stacker cranes with pre- and after-sorting facilities will be responsible for placing the paper reels in the most appropriate place to optimize handling of loads
- Loads will be prepared for trucks in 20 minutes after gate arrival, for up to five trucks simultaneously, resulting in minimized turnaround times at the mill
- Deliveries are all on-time with minimal product damages
- The truck loading area has been specifically designed by Saica Group for improving truck drivers’ safety